Reductions in force – also known as collective redundancies – can be daunting for employers, both in dealing with employee issues and protecting the company from liability. On Thursday, 29 January 2015, my partners and I will present a primer on what employers need to know about redundancies in four key jurisdictions: the UK, France, Germany, and the United States. We’ll address:
- What qualifies as a redundancy/RIF in each jurisdiction?
- When is an employer required to consult with employees before a dismissal?
- What happens if an employer wants to dismiss only some employees in a group?
- Are employers required to consider alternatives to dismissal?
- What payments are dismissed employees entitled to?
- What liabilities could an employer face it if doesn’t comply with its obligations?
Joining me will be Reed Smith Labor & Employment partners Severine Martel in Paris, David McAllister in Pittsburgh, and Jan Weissgerber in Munich.
The teleseminar will be presented at two times to accommodate schedules: 9:00 a.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. GMT and 12:00 p.m. ET / 5:00 p.m. GMT. Employers are invited to register here for the time that best suits your schedule.